Skip to content

Climate Change?ccm_paging_p=2 Archives

Challenges of Engineering Our Post-Brexit Future

28th September 2016    |     Peter Rolton: Chairman, Rolton Group

Last month’s message from Theresa May as she reiterated that “Brexit means Brexit” couldn’t be much clearer. Her words signaled an end to the ‘rabbit in the headlights’ limbo period that surrounded the EU referendum and encouraged a move into a more proactive phase where we need to take control of our own destiny.

Read more...

Engendering Equality in Engineering

Rolton Group

26th September 2014    |     Peter Rolton

British engineering is facing a serious skills shortage. Yesterday, the thinktank IPPR published a report claiming that ‘an additional 87,000 graduate level engineers will be needed in the UK each year between now and 2020’ in order to meet growing demand, but that ‘the higher education system is only producing 46,000 engineering graduates annually’. Well as a starter for ten, that maths doesn’t look good.

Read more...

Tesla Motors and the EV Revolution

Rolton Group

29th August 2014    |     Tom Warwick

Thanks to Rolton Group’s activity in the energy, renewables and automotive sectors, people outside the industry always ask the same three questions when I explain what I do for a living: Do wind turbines work? Should I put PV on my house? and; Is China doing all this “green stuff” too?

Read more...

Taking Stock: Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment

Rolton Group

1st May 2014    |     Chris Evans

The majority of the buildings that will dominate the UK’s skyline in 2050 are already standing, and this means that whatever action is taken to bring new builds to a zero carbon standard, the results will be dwarfed by the effects of our current stock.

Read more...

Building Information Modelling: Less Haste, More Speed

Rolton Group

24th February 2014    |     Chris Evans

The future of engineering design is now upon us: central government projects will require the use of building information modelling (BIM) Level 2 as standard from 2016, and this belies the pattern for the coming years.

Read more...

Davey and Goliath

Rolton Group

23rd October 2013    |     Peter Rolton

In the fight between Osborne and Davey, only one side can win; whatever the result, the ramifications for the future of UK energy will be much more significant than simply bruised egos.

Read more...

The Changing Face of Engineering

Rolton Group

21st June 2013    |     Peter Rolton

This week has been a significant one for the Rolton Group, and the ink has now dried on the management buyout. While David plans his next adventure, I have been thinking about how much the industry has changed since the first of the Rolton companies opened for business over three decades ago.

Read more...